Turkey approves new Army chiefs: Report
Ankara: Turkish President Abdullah Gul has approved the nominations of the new top Army chiefs, putting an end to the latest power struggle between the government and the military, a news report said on Monday.
Gul late yesterday signed off on General Isik Kosaner, the current commander of land forces, as the new Army chief of staff replacing general Ilker Basbug who is retiring, the Anatolia news agency said.
The new head of land forces will be General Erdal Ceylanoglu, the agency said.
Turkey had been expected to announce a new Army chief and land forces` commander on Wednesday at the end of a four-day meeting of the Supreme Military Council, but the two posts were left vacant in the final list of promotions.
Media reports said that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had vetoed the military`s initial choice for land forces commander, General Hasan Igsiz, because he was implicated in an alleged campaign to discredit the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
Earlier yesterday, Erdogan said the Turkish government and the military had reached a deal on the appointments although he did not name the new lands forces chief.
The government`s rejection of the initial candidate was largely seen as a mark of the ebbing power of the once-untouchable Army and a boost to efforts to strengthen civilian power.
The military, which sees itself as the guardian of Turkey`s secular system, has been locked in a test of strength with the AKP, the moderate offshoot of a banned Islamist movement which came to power in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India