Turkey beefs up military presence on Syria border: Reports
Ankara: Turkey has beefed up its military presence along its southern border with Syria in anticipation of strikes on the regime in Damascus, according to local media.
A 20-vehicle convoy with a tank contingent was deployed to the border area of Yayladagi in Hatay province on Wednesday, and was followed by 15 more vehicles yesterday, Turkish news agency Dogan reported.
The move is just the latest in a series of reinforcements deployed by the Turkish army to the 900 km-long border with the war-torn country.
Tanks and heavy artillery were moved to the border in early 2012, a few months into the conflict.
Patriot air defence missiles were also deployed earlier this year on the Turkish border with Syria to help protect the country against potential Syrian strikes.
Turkey, a NATO member that has broken off a previously close relationship with the Syria regime over the violence, is home to more than 500,000 Syrian refugees who have fled a civil conflict that is now well into its third year.
Ankara supports a multilateral intervention against the country after an August 21 chemical attack near Damascus that left hundreds dead, which the West has accused Assad`s regime of perpetrating.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan reiterated on Tuesday that his country would support any coalition willing to intervene against the Syrian regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what