Turkey calls for Palestinian unity
Anakara: Turkey`s President has called for
"unity and solidarity" between the Palestinian factions during
a meeting with Hamas chief Khaled Mashaal.
A presidential statement said Abdullah Gul expressed the
need for a reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah at a time
when many in the region are "embracing democracy within the
framework of the Arab spring."
Gul met with Hamas` exiled leader in Istanbul on Saturday
as reconciliation efforts have encountered new obstacles.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has said he
cannot form an interim government to prepare for elections
unless he has Israeli assurances that elections are also held
in east Jerusalem.
Mashaal faces internal opposition from Hamas leaders in
Gaza who are reluctant to hand over authority to Abbas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best