Turkey calls in German Ambassador after Merkel criticism
Ankara: Turkey on Saturday called in Germany`s Ambassador to Ankara as tensions have flared between the two countries following Turkey`s violent crackdown on protesters.
Berlin and Ankara on Friday both summoned each other`s ambassadors in tit-for-tat moves as fresh obstacles have also emerged over the past week linked to Turkey`s bid to join the European Union.
News channel NTV said Ambassador Eberhard Pohl spent over an hour in his meeting with foreign ministry Under-Secretary Feridun Sinirlioglu, but that neither of the two sides had wished to comment on the discussion afterwards.
On Monday, German Chancelor Angela Merkel said Turkey`s violent crackdown on demonstrators protesting against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s Islamic-rooted government had been "much too harsh".
What began as a peaceful protest against plans to demolish Istanbul`s Gezi Park, one of the city`s last large green spots, turned violent on May 31 when police used tear gas and water cannon to disperse demonstrators.
Erdogan has faced international condemnation over his handling of the crisis, which has left four dead and injured thousands of demonstrators, tarnishing Turkey`s image as a model of Islamic democracy.
Germany`s views carry particular weight as around three million people with Turkish roots live in Europe`s top economy, which is Turkey`s biggest trading partner.
On Friday, Turkish European Union Affairs Minister Egemen Bagis warned Germany of consequences unless Merkel retracted her comments.
The spat also comes as European diplomats say both Germany and the Netherlands have expressed "reservations" against opening a new negotiating chapter with Turkey next week in Ankara`s bid to join the EU.
But a German foreign ministry spokesman has insisted that Ankara`s response to the demonstrations had no direct bearing on the EU accession talks.
Also on Saturday, the foreign ministers of the two countries met on the sidelines of a Friends of Syria meeting in Doha to discuss Turkey`s relations with the EU.
According to a brief statement released by Germany`s foreign ministry, the meeting between Guido Westerwelle and his Turkish counterpart Ahmet Davutoglu was held in a "constructive and amicable atmosphere," where the two diplomats enjoyed "an intensive exchange of opinions as partners and friends."
Meanwhile, some 80,000 people rallied against Erdogan`s government in the German city of Cologne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow