Turkey can take no more than 100,000 Syrian refugees
Istanbul: Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Monday that his country cannot take more than 100, 000 Syrian refugees and proposes a UN buffer zone inside Syria to shelter them.
"If the number of refugees in Turkey surpasses 100,000, we will run out of space to accommodate them. We should be able to accommodate them in Syria," the foreign minister told local Hurriyet Daily.
"The United Nations may build camps in a safe zone within Syria’s borders," he said.
Davutoglu also said Turkey would participate in a ministerial meeting of the UN Security council on Aug. 30 to study the humanitarian situation in Syria.
By now, Turkey already hosts nearly 70,000 Syrian refugees at its southeastern border with Syria. The number of Syrian refugees fleeing to Turkey keeps rising sharply as the fighting in Syria`s Aleppo escalates.
During her Aug. 11 visit to Turkey, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her country and Turkey were discussing various plans including setting up no-fly zone over Syria.
But two days later, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said plans to set up a no fly zone over Syria were "not on the front burner." Panetta said enforcing a no-fly zone would require a " major, major policy decision" that had not yet been made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video