Turkey closes borders with Syria
Ankara: The Turkish government is closing all its checkpoints on the Syrian border, Customs and Trade Minister Hayati Yazici said Wednesday.
"All checkpoints along the Syrian border are closed starting today," the minister was cited by the local NTV television as saying.
Turkey acted in line with a new package of sanctions against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad imposed by Ankara, the TV channel said.
Syrian insurgents have launched frequent attacks in the last few days at its border points, including near the Iraqi border.
Turkey has 13 checkpoints on its 900-km border with Syria.
The sanctions will cover truck traffic, but not the inflow of refugees from Syria, around 45,000 of whom have already fled to Turkey from the ongoing civil war, NTV said.
Turkey plans to establish three new refugee camps on the Syrian border, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'