Turkey detains 'perpetrator of Diyarbakir car bombing': Report

Turkish authorities Saturday detained the suspected perpetrator of a car bomb attack in its main Kurdish-majority city that killed seven police, as a new bombing hit the troubled southeast.

AFP| Last Updated: Apr 02, 2016, 16:47 PM IST

Diyarbakir: Turkish authorities Saturday detained the suspected perpetrator of a car bomb attack in its main Kurdish-majority city that killed seven police, as a new bombing hit the troubled southeast.

The suspect, named as AC, was detained in the Kocakoy district of Diyarbakir, where the seven police were killed and 27 others wounded by Thursday's massive car bomb attack on a police bus, the Dogan news agency reported.

The attack was claimed on Friday by the military wing of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) which had been battling the security forces since a truce broke down last summer.

The bombing -- unlike previous recent attacks in Turkey -- was not a suicide attack but remotely detonated, officials said at the time.

Dogan said AC is believed to be the man recorded on security camera footage walking away just before the attack from a parked white car which would later explode when the police bus passed.

The Dogan report said nine others suspected of links to the attacks had been detained yesterday prior to AC's arrest.

In new violence blamed on the PKK overnight, one civilian was killed and 18 people wounded in an attack on a military sub-station in the Kiziltepe district of the southeastern Mardin province, the army said.

The civilian killed was reportedly a Syrian who had been working on a building site project.

The PKK formally took up arms against the Turkish state in 1984 in an insurgency that initially sought an independent Kurdish state for Turkey's largest ethnic minority but which now focuses on autonomy and greater rights.

It declared a truce in March 2013 but it collapsed last summer and the government has since moved to eradicate the group's presence in urban centres in a relentless military campaign.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said earlier this week that 355 members of the security forces had been killed in the fighting since then.

He also claimed 5,359 members of the PKK had been killed but it was not possible to confirm that toll.

Turkey has been shaken this year by two attacks in the capital Ankara claimed by Kurdish rebels that killed dozens and two deadly bombings in Istanbul blamed on jihadists that targeted foreigners.