Turkey: Ex-Army generals jailed for attempting coup
Ankara: Three former military officials including former Air Force and Navy chiefs were sentenced to 30 years in prison by a criminal court for plotting a coup to overthrow the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s government in 2003.
It says a panel of three judges at the court in the outskirts of Istanbul initially sentenced former air force chief Ibrahim Firtina, former navy chief Ozden Ornek and former army commander Cetin Dogan to life imprisonment but later reduced the sentence to a 20-year jail term.
“Operation Sledgehammer” was a ploy to overthrow the Islamic-based government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Early 330 military officers were also convicted for the same while 34 people were acquitted by the court.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview
- Pakistan vs England, 2nd T20: Live Streaming