Turkey: Ex-Army generals jailed for attempting coup
Ankara: Three former military officials including former Air Force and Navy chiefs were sentenced to 30 years in prison by a criminal court for plotting a coup to overthrow the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s government in 2003.
It says a panel of three judges at the court in the outskirts of Istanbul initially sentenced former air force chief Ibrahim Firtina, former navy chief Ozden Ornek and former army commander Cetin Dogan to life imprisonment but later reduced the sentence to a 20-year jail term.
“Operation Sledgehammer” was a ploy to overthrow the Islamic-based government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Early 330 military officers were also convicted for the same while 34 people were acquitted by the court.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?