Turkey: Ex-Army generals jailed for attempting coup
Ankara: Three former military officials including former Air Force and Navy chiefs were sentenced to 30 years in prison by a criminal court for plotting a coup to overthrow the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s government in 2003.
It says a panel of three judges at the court in the outskirts of Istanbul initially sentenced former air force chief Ibrahim Firtina, former navy chief Ozden Ornek and former army commander Cetin Dogan to life imprisonment but later reduced the sentence to a 20-year jail term.
“Operation Sledgehammer” was a ploy to overthrow the Islamic-based government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Early 330 military officers were also convicted for the same while 34 people were acquitted by the court.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress