Turkey identifies ISIS-linked suicide bomber as mass funeral held for victims

As Turkey bade farewell to the 32 victims of the deadly suicide attack in the town of Suruc with tears and flowers at a mass funeral ceremony, the authorties have identified the suspect, reports said Wednesday.

Turkey identifies ISIS-linked suicide bomber as mass funeral held for victims

Ankara: As Turkey bade farewell to the 32 victims of the deadly suicide attack in the town of Suruc with tears and flowers at a mass funeral ceremony, the authorties have identified the suspect, reports said Wednesday.

As per a BBC report, PM Ahmet Davutoglu informed that the bomber supposed to be linked to the Islamic State, has been identified by the authorities.

The bomber was earlier said to be a female, but according to a news report, the attacker was a 20-year-old male.

A group of young activists – most of them University Graduates – were attending a gathering in the Turkish border town of Suruc at Amara Cultural Centre when a suicide bomber detonated herself, claiming 32 lives and injuring over 100.

The activists, were members of the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations and were planning to enter the Syrian town of Kobane (that lies just across the border from Suruc) and help rebuild it.

As the coffins of the victims draped in red was carried away to their respective home towns for burials, mourners wept and shouted in protest against ISIS and also President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who has been accused of supporting the jihadis initially.

The crowd of around 800 protesters chanted anti-government slogans, including: "Murderer state will be brought to account."

Demonstrations also took place in the predominantly Kurdish town of Nusaybin on the border with Syria.

Police in Istanbul used tear gas and water cannon on Tuesday evening to disperse hundreds of pro-Kurdish activists who took to the streets to demonstrate over the attack and condemn government policy on Syria.

Davutoglu said the death toll had risen to 32 and that 29 injured victims were still in hospital.

"What is necessary will be done against whomever is responsible for (the attack)," Davutoglu said. 

Davutoglu has called for beefing up of security along the country's porous border with Syria as Turkey witnesses spillover of the conflict from its troubled neighbourhood.

Turkey has long been accused of not doing enough to halt the rise of IS and even colluding with the group, allegations it vehemently denies.

So far, Ankara has played only a secondary role in the US-led coalition against IS and been wary of backing the jihadists` Kurdish opponents, saying the priority is the ousting of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. 

But Davutoglu insisted the government had "never had any direct or indirect connection with any terrorist organisation".
 

With Agency Inputs

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close