Turkey may evacuate embassy in Libya amid fighting: Minister
Ankara: Turkey may evacuate its embassy in the Libyan capital Tripoli, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Thursday, a day after his ministry advised all Turkish citizens to leave the North African country due to the worsening security situation.
More than 50 people have died so far in fighting that started 10 days ago and that has deepened fears post-war Libya is slipping further into lawlessness, with its government unable to control heavily armed brigades of former rebel fighters battling for power.
"There has been serious conflict in Libya for the recent months... We have taken measures for the evacuation of a few hundred Turks in Libya," Davutoglu said in an interview with Turkish broadcaster AHaber.
"The measure of evacuating the embassy may be considered," he said, warning that deteriorating conditions in Libya risked creating a "domino effect" of instability in the region.
Turkey is still trying to secure the release of 49 hostages seized last month from its diplomatic mission in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul by fighters loyal to the Islamic State militant group.
The government was widely criticised for not evacuating its Mosul consulate earlier, and the hostage crisis comes at an awkward time politically for Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, who is hoping to be elected president in polls due next month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij