Ankara: Even as Turkish warplanes continue to pound ISIS and PKK targets in Syria with "game-changer" air strikes, Turkey has called for a special NATO meeting to discuss the security threats by the country in the light of recent wave of terrorist attacks.
PM Ahmet Davutoglu earlier in a news conference said that Turkish air strikes against ISIS and PKK had "changed the game" in the region.
In a rare move, Turkey invoked Article 4 of NATO founding treaty to convene a meeting of member states to consult with them and inform the allies about the steps being taken by Ankara to combat the terror threats.
“In the wake of increased security threats following the attacks against our security and law-enforcement forces in provinces of Diyarbakır, Şanlıurfa and Kilis, in particular the terrorist attack that took the lives of 32 innocent Turkish citizens in Suruç on 20 July 2015, all necessary measures are being taken and in this context, operations are also being carried out by the Turkish Armed Forces,” said a statement by the Turkish Foreign Ministry.
“Upon these recent attacks and threats directed against our national security, North Atlantic Council has been called for a meeting by Turkey next week under Article 4 of the Washington Treaty with a view to informing our Allies about the measures we are taking and the operations we are conducting against terrorism, as well as to holding consultations with them,” added the statement.
Press Rel. Regarding Turkey’s Request to Convene the North Atlantic Council under Article 4 of the Washington Treaty http://t.co/0oML9TnO9k
— Turkish MFA (@MFATurkey) July 26, 2015
NATO has confirmed about the meeting which would take place on Tuesday, July 28.
— NATO (@NATO) July 26, 2015
Turkey launched two-pronged anti-terror offensive on Friday after being rattled by a week of violence that it blamed on ISIS and PKK. Turkey also carried out raids in eastern provinces, arresting several suspected members of ISIS and PKK.
Yesterday two security officials were killed in a car bomb blast that was claimed by the PKK.
Talking to a meeting of newspapers' editors, PM Davutogu ruled out any plans to send troops into Syria and claimed that air strikes by Turkish warplanes were quiet effective.
"The presence of a Turkey that can use its force effectively can lead to consequences which can change the game in Syria, Iraq and the entire region; everyone should see that," the Hurriyet Daily News quoted him as saying.
“Now there are new conditions,” Davutoğlu said. “Though they are not at the dimension of a paradigm shift, we want everyone to read and asses those new conditions created by our Syria and Iraq operations once again correctly and review their own position accordingly.”