Turkey police detain 11 in wiretapping probe: Report
Ankara: Turkish police on Tuesday detained 11 people, including former top officers, in a probe into illegally wiretapping Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, local media reported.
Police raided the homes of a dozen people in the capital Ankara, including the prime minister`s former chief of guard and an ex-police chief, who could face charges of espionage for eavesdropping on Erdogan`s office in 2012.
A total of 11 suspects were arrested and police were searching homes in four other cities including Istanbul, the Dogan news agency reported.
Erdogan had announced in late 2012 that "eavesdropping devices" had been found in his office as well as his home.
This year the prime minister came under pressure ahead of local elections in March when a series of audio recordings were published that appeared to put him at the heart of a vast corruption scandal implicating key government allies.
They included an apparent discussion between Erdogan and his son about hiding money, and others in which he appeared to be interfering in business deals, court cases and media coverage.
Erdogan has dismissed most of the recordings as "vile" fakes concocted by his rivals, including US-exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen, a former staunch ally, whom the premier accuses of being behind the graft probe to undermine his rule.
The Turkish government has sacked thousands of police and prosecutors believed to be linked to the Gulen movement and banned Twitter and YouTube, which were used to spread the damaging audio recordings.
Despite the scandal, Erdogan`s Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP) scored a crushing victory in the March polls, boosting the premier`s ambitions to run for president in August, the first time Turks will directly elect the head of state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama