Turkey protestors demand sacking of police chiefs
Zee Media Bureau
Ankara: Enraged by the alleged use of violence against protestors, Turkish activists are demanding the dismissal of police chiefs in various cities including Istanbul and Ankara.
The Taksim Solidarity Platform (TSP) group also rejected apology offered by Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc for the violent crackdown and handed him a list of their demands, as per a BBC report.
They have demanded scrapping the plans for redevelopment of Gezi park, release of detainees and ban on tear gas among others, the report states.
Late Tuesday night, thousands of people were demonstrating in the square. Many of the streets leading into it have been blocked by barricades that protesters have built of overturned dumpsters, metal railings and damaged vehicles to keep police away.
At one point, near the German Consulate, police fired tear gas at several hundred protesters who were throwing bricks at the officers.
A 22-year-old man died during an anti-government protest in a city near Turkey`s border with Syria, and officials gave conflicting reports on what caused his death.
Police have been accused of using disproportionate force in trying to break up demonstrations. In a boisterous debate in Parliament, Interior Minister Muammer Guler defended police officers` use of tear gas against demonstrators trying to reach government buildings.
"Should we have allowed them to march and take over Parliament?" he asked. "We do not have the luxury to allow illegal acts and will never have that luxury."
Arinc said he had no information about reports that riot police had erased or painted over numbers on their helmets so people could not report them in the event of abuse.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India