Turkey recalls Egypt ambassador after deadly Cairo crackdown
Ankara: Turkey recalled its ambassador to Egypt following a bloody crackdown on supporters of the country`s ousted Islamist president, a Foreign Ministry spokesman has said.
"Our ambassador has been recalled to discuss the latest developments unfolding in Egypt," the spokesman told a news agency on Thursday.
Turkish Ambassador Huseyin Avni Botsali is expected to return to Cairo on Friday, he added.
Earlier, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Edogan, a supporter of ousted president Mohamed Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood movement, called for an urgent Security Council meeting over Egypt`s "massacre".
"This is a very serious massacre... Against the Egyptian people who were only protesting peacefully," he said, criticising "the silence" of the international community.
The violence triggered when security forces moved in to break up pro-Morsi protest camps left at least 578 people dead and was the worst since the 2011 uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak.
It prompted widespread concern, with US President Barack Obama urging Egypt`s Army-installed authorities to lift a state of emergency and allow peaceful dissent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM