Turkey, S Africa, Brazil envoys head to Syria
United Nations: Envoys from India, Brazil and
South Africa are heading to Syria to appeal for an end to the violent crackdown and to promote democratic reforms.
India`s UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said his
country`s representative is scheduled to arrive in Damascus on today and will join representatives from Brazil and South Africa for a meeting with Syria`s foreign minister to deliver the appeal.
Puri told reporters yesterday the three countries will be
"calling for restraint, abjuring violence, (and) promoting
reform, taking into account the democratic aspirations of the
Separately, Turkey, until recently a close Syrian ally
and major trade partner, said it is sending its foreign
minister to Damascus on Tuesday to deliver a strong message
against the crackdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video