Turkey, S Africa, Brazil envoys head to Syria
United Nations: Envoys from India, Brazil and
South Africa are heading to Syria to appeal for an end to the violent crackdown and to promote democratic reforms.
India`s UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said his
country`s representative is scheduled to arrive in Damascus on today and will join representatives from Brazil and South Africa for a meeting with Syria`s foreign minister to deliver the appeal.
Puri told reporters yesterday the three countries will be
"calling for restraint, abjuring violence, (and) promoting
reform, taking into account the democratic aspirations of the
Separately, Turkey, until recently a close Syrian ally
and major trade partner, said it is sending its foreign
minister to Damascus on Tuesday to deliver a strong message
against the crackdown.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India