Turkey, S Africa, Brazil envoys head to Syria
United Nations: Envoys from India, Brazil and
South Africa are heading to Syria to appeal for an end to the violent crackdown and to promote democratic reforms.
India`s UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said his
country`s representative is scheduled to arrive in Damascus on today and will join representatives from Brazil and South Africa for a meeting with Syria`s foreign minister to deliver the appeal.
Puri told reporters yesterday the three countries will be
"calling for restraint, abjuring violence, (and) promoting
reform, taking into account the democratic aspirations of the
Separately, Turkey, until recently a close Syrian ally
and major trade partner, said it is sending its foreign
minister to Damascus on Tuesday to deliver a strong message
against the crackdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet