Turkey says it knew terrorist attack was planned
Ankara: Turkey`s president says authorities suspected the outlawed leftist group that bombed the US Embassy in Ankara was planning an attack, but did not have enough information to prevent it from happening.
The Revolutionary People`s Liberation Party-Front, or DHKP-C, has claimed responsibility for Friday`s suicide bombing of the embassy, which killed the attacker and a Turkish security guard and seriously wounded a former Turkish television journalist.
President Abdullah Gul said at a news conference today that Turkish police and intelligence officials were on high alert about the DHKP-C, knowing it was seeking to carry out an attack of some sort but didn`t know where or when.
In its claim of responsibility, the Marxist group denounced imperialism but gave no specific reason for targeting the US Embassy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred