Turkey `scrambles fighter jets at Syrian border`
Ankara: Turkey`s military says it scrambled fighter jets to its border after Syrian helicopters flew too close to the frontier.
A military statement today said F-16 jets were scrambled, yesterday and sent to the border after the helicopters flew in the area on at least three occasions.
The military did not report that any direct confrontation had taken place.
The jets were scrambled days after Turkey said it would treat any Syrian military unit approaching its border as a direct threat in response to the downing of a Turkish reconnaissance plane by Syrian forces on June 22.
Turkey has also reinforced its border with anti-aircraft guns and other weapons.
The military said the helicopters flew as close as 6.5 kilometers to the Turkish border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi