Turkey `scrambles fighter jets at Syrian border`
Ankara: Turkey`s military says it scrambled fighter jets to its border after Syrian helicopters flew too close to the frontier.
A military statement today said F-16 jets were scrambled, yesterday and sent to the border after the helicopters flew in the area on at least three occasions.
The military did not report that any direct confrontation had taken place.
The jets were scrambled days after Turkey said it would treat any Syrian military unit approaching its border as a direct threat in response to the downing of a Turkish reconnaissance plane by Syrian forces on June 22.
Turkey has also reinforced its border with anti-aircraft guns and other weapons.
The military said the helicopters flew as close as 6.5 kilometers to the Turkish border.
- IN PICS: Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters brutally thrash this man in Patna - Know why
- Good news! India win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag