Turkey seizes assets of opposition party`s Istanbul candidate
Istanbul: Turkish authorities seized the assets of main opposition Republican People`s Party`s candidate for mayor of Istanbul in the run-up to highly-charged local polls in March, media reports said Saturday.
Turkey`s Savings Deposit Insurance Fund announced the decision late Friday after Mustafa Sarigul and nine other creditors failed to repay a loan worth $3.5 million (2.6 million euros) dating back to 1998, the Hurriyet newspaper reported.
In his first remarks after the decision, Sarigul described the move as a provocation.
"This incident is nothing more than the panic-stricken manipulation of state institutions for politics," he was quoted as saying by Hurriyet.
The move comes as the Turkish government is embroiled in a vast corruption scandal ensnaring top businessmen as well as sons of former cabinet ministers.
Sarigul is seen as the main rival of incumbent Kadir Topbas, a member of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) who has been nominated to stand for a third term at the helm of Turkey`s largest city in the March 30 vote.
Although the AKP`s image has been badly bruised by the corruption scandal, recent voter surveys show support for Topbas at up to 45 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video