Turkey shells jihadist positions in Syria for first time
Ankara: Turkey has shelled positions held by jihadist fighters in neighbouring Syria for the first time, the army said, in retaliation for a mortar round that fell on Turkish territory.
"Four artillery rounds were fired on October 15 against a position near the town of Azaz held by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)," an al Qaeda affiliated group, the army chief of staff said in a statement yesterday.
The shelling came in response to a mortar round that was fired from Syrian territory and fell without detonating near a police post inside Turkey, it said.
Turkey has for more than a year responded when shells from Syria have landed on its territory, but this marked the first time that it has specifically targeted Islamist extremists.
Al Qaeda in Syria is fighting to drive rivals out of areas bordering Turkey and Iraq in a bid to control territory stretching from Iraq into northern Syria, observers say.
Across the north and east, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has set up checkpoints on roads to border crossings, and opened fronts to crush other rebel groups fighting to oust embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Turkey has cut off ties with the regime in Damascus since Assad`s deadly crackdown on popular dissent and has so far taken in more than 500,000 Syrian refugees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection