Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU
Istanbul: Turkey and the European Union (EU) will engage in a political dialogue in Istanbul on Thursday. The meet will be part of Turkey`s accession negotiation for the EU membership.
The high-level meeting`s agenda will include Turkey-EU relations, the positive agenda initiative launched between the two sides last month, visa and latest developments in the Middle East, North Africa and Western Balkans, Xinhua quoted a statement from Turkey`s EU ministry as saying.
The Turkish side will be represented by the country`s EU Minister and chief negotiator Egemen Bagis and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
Catherine Ashton, EU`s high representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, and EU Commissioner for Enlargement Stefan Fule will represent the European Union during the meet.
The last Turkey-EU political dialogue meeting was held in Brussels in March.
According to Turkish Weekly journal, Turkey`s membership talks with the EU were launched in 2005. But the negotiations process saw minimal progress due to what Turkey has describes as "political obstacles" over the Cyprus problem as well as opposition from EU countries such as France and Germany to Ankara`s accession.
Seventeen out of 33 policy areas on which Turkey needs to negotiate have been frozen and with 13 of them opened and one closed provisionally so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!