Turkish Parliament gives government more control over judiciary
Ankara: Turkey`s Parliament approved a law giving the government more control over the appointment of judges and prosecutors on Saturday, after a heated debate and a brawl in which an opposition lawmaker was hospitalised.
The battle for control of the Higher Council of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK), the body which appoints senior members of the judiciary, lies at the heart of a feud between Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
Gulen, whose followers say they number in the millions, has built up influence in the police and judiciary over decades. Erdogan, head of the ruling AK Party, blames him for unleashing a corruption investigation he sees as designed to unseat him.
Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Deputy Ozcan Yeniceri criticised the HSYK bill, saying it was aimed at "meeting the needs of the AK Party" to impede the graft investigation in which dozens of prominent business people, the sons of three cabinet ministers, and state officials were questioned.
The government has reassigned or dismissed thousands of police officers and hundreds of judges and prosecutors since the graft scandal erupted on December 17.
The decision to approve the law came after a night of fierce debate and a brawl which left one opposition member of Parliament with a bloody nose. Local media reported that Ali Ihsan Kokturk, MP for the main opposition Republican People`s Party (CHP), was hospitalised with a broken nose.
The debate lasted from 1400 (1200 GMT) on Friday and finished at 1000 on Saturday, with 210 members voting in support of the bill and 28 voting against.
CHP had said on Thursday it would appeal the bill in the Constitutional Court if it was approved in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie