Turkish PM arrives in Pakistan to boost trade ties
Lahore: Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan arrived here on Monday on a two-day official visit to Pakistan to explore investment avenues.
Erdogan was received by Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif at Lahore airport this morning and accorded a 21-gun salute and a guard of honour.
The premier was accompanied by his wife and a delegation of over 100 people comprising prominent businessmen and journalists.
The two countries are likely to sign a number of agreements in the energy sector, including coal power projects and dams, Pakistan Today reported.
Erdogan`s visit will help boost trade and investment cooperation, Foreign Office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said.
Some 1,000 policemen were deployed from the airport to the Mall Road, where the Turkish delegation is staying at a hotel.
Owing to security concerns, Erdogan and his wife were taken to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s residence at Raiwind on the outskirts of the city.
Erdogan will meet President Mamnoon Hussain and other senior leaders and officials during his visit.
Nawaz Sharif hosted a luncheon in honour of his Turkish counterpart. Pakistani and Turkish cuisine, including Sharif`s favourite `siri paya and nihari`, was presented in honour of the delegation, officials told.
The delegation was later escorted to Aitchison College where cultural festivities were organised.
Shahbaz Sharif presented Erdogan an Arabian horse that the latter accepted with a big smile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?