Turkish PM calls for structural reform of UNSC
Istanbul: Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday lashed at the UN Security Council for lack of justice and efficiency in Syrian crisis while calling for reform of the structure.
Addressing more 1,000 participants at the Istanbul World Forum, Erdogan said, structural injustice was clearly seen in functioning of several international organizations especially the UN Security Council.
The forum is being held with the theme "Justice". It brings together government officials and academicians, business executives, experts, NGO leaders, artists, authors and media personalities from the world. "It is time to change structures of international organizations especially the UN Security Council," he said.
The UN Security Council did not intervene in human tragedy in Syria which has been continuing for 20 months, he said, noting that at least 30,000 people have been killed in Syria so far.
The Security Council could not pursue an effective policy in regard to incidents in Syria, he added.
"No one can claim that the UN Security Council is based on justice in dealing with the Syrian issue. The whole world is at the mercy of the five member states of UN Security Council. What about people holding other beliefs? Reform UN is necessary," Erdogan expressed his strong dissatisfactory at the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test