Turkish PM calls for structural reform of UNSC
Istanbul: Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday lashed at the UN Security Council for lack of justice and efficiency in Syrian crisis while calling for reform of the structure.
Addressing more 1,000 participants at the Istanbul World Forum, Erdogan said, structural injustice was clearly seen in functioning of several international organizations especially the UN Security Council.
The forum is being held with the theme "Justice". It brings together government officials and academicians, business executives, experts, NGO leaders, artists, authors and media personalities from the world. "It is time to change structures of international organizations especially the UN Security Council," he said.
The UN Security Council did not intervene in human tragedy in Syria which has been continuing for 20 months, he said, noting that at least 30,000 people have been killed in Syria so far.
The Security Council could not pursue an effective policy in regard to incidents in Syria, he added.
"No one can claim that the UN Security Council is based on justice in dealing with the Syrian issue. The whole world is at the mercy of the five member states of UN Security Council. What about people holding other beliefs? Reform UN is necessary," Erdogan expressed his strong dissatisfactory at the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Bulandshahr rape case: No CBI probe, says Supreme Court
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more