Turkish Police, demonstrators clash in Istanbul
Istanbul: Turkish police have let off tear gas and pressurised water against groups of protesters trying to reach a main Istanbul square for a second day of anti-government demonstrations.
The protest grew out of anger at police`s heavy-handed tactics to break up a peaceful sit-in to protect a park in Istanbul`s main Taksim square on Friday.
It turned into a wider protest against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan who is seen as becoming increasingly authoritarian and spread to other Turkish cities. Dozens were injured in the scuffles.
Today, police clashed with groups of youths trying to reach Taksim. Some threw stones at police. Thousands also marched along a Bosporus bridge connecting the Asian and European shores of the city.
The Dogan news agency says 81 demonstrators were detained in Istanbul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco