Turkish troops cross into Iraq: Sources
Diyarbakir (Turkey): Turkish troops crossed
into northern Iraq on Tuesday, heading towards Kurdish rebel bases
in Haftanin valley, as warplanes bombed the area, local
security sources said.
Some 20 tanks and 30 military trucks entered Iraqi soil
from Siyahkaya village around 15 kilometers east of the Habur
gate on the Turkish side of the border, sources said.
Turkish warplanes also bombed the Haftanin region where
some 400 rebels are believed to be settled, they added.
Turkish troops were sent by helicopter to the Zap region,
they said, adding that they aimed to enter Iraq`s Sinaht
region where rebels of the Kurdistan Workers` Party (PKK) are
thought to be based.
Firatnews news agency, known as the mouthpiece of the PKK,
confirmed today that Turkish troops had entered Iraq from the
Turkish soldiers erected drawbridges on Hezil river in the
region, Firatnews said.
The Turkish military launched air and land operations
against the PKK after the separatist group`s guerrillas killed
24 soldiers and wounded 18 along the Iraqi border on
Wednesday, the army`s biggest losses since 1993.
Some 10,000 troops on the ground were involved in Turkey`s
operations, backed by jets and helicopters, inside Turkey and
across the border. Military officials did not say how many
troops had entered Iraq.
However, the army said the ground operations were mainly
focused inside Turkey, around the Cukurca region near the
"A total of 49 terrorists were rendered ineffective" last
week, the general staff said in a statement posted on its
Clashes between the PKK and the army have escalated since
The PKK, listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and
much of the international community, took up arms for Kurdish
independence in southeastern Turkey in 1984, sparking a
conflict that has claimed some 45,000 lives.
Turkey`s last ground incursion into northern Iraq, an
autonomous Kurdish region, was in February 2008, when the army
struck against the Zap region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India