Turkmenistan president falls from horse
Moscow: Turkmenistan President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov narrowly escaped injuries after falling from a horse during a national horse racing event Sunday, BBC reported.
The 55-year-old president left six other riders behind him to win the race, but his horse named Berkarar (The Mighty) stumbled after the finish line, throwing Berdymukhamedov flying over its head and landing heavily on the ground.
The president remained lying still for several seconds on the race track before dozens of security guards rushed over to attend him. He was eventually taken away in an ambulance car.
According to a BBC correspondent, there was silence at the stadium for about half an hour with some people beginning to cry, expecting the worst news.
However, Berdymukhamedov appeared unharmed after 40 minutes and dressed in a national costume he waved at the audience. The crowd greeted him with applause.
Turkmenistan officials later assembled all journalists at the event asking them to delete all footage and video of the incident describing it as a “sporting accident”, BBC reported.
The footage and video, however, were taken out from the stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh