Turkmenistan to switch over to multi-party system
Ashgabat: The elders of Turkmenistan
have approved a proposal voiced by Turkmen President,
suggesting a transition from one-party to multi-party system,
as it was considered to not meet even the most basic standards
The elders backed the proposal at an annual meeting of the
Elders` Council that opened yesterday. President Gurbanguly
Berdymukhammedov has instructed the Turkmen parliament to
draft a bill on political parties.
Turkmenistan has known only one party in its history as
an independent state - the Democratic Party, created after the
Communist party dissolved itself in 1991.
The Turkmen presidents were traditionally elected leaders
of the Democratic Party which membership was never more than
In August 2007, Berdymukhammedov was elected Chairman of
the Political Council of the Democratic Party and the
Galkynysh national movement that united all the public
organizations of Turkmenistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Tips to pick up the right pair of shoes for the right occasion
- US President Barack Obama urges Vietnam to improve human rights to guarantee progress
- Sonu Nigam's new song 'Crazy Dil' has got the cutest surprise appearance ever – Watch to know
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gun battle cremated with full honours
- Two 'young' craters discovered on Moon