Turkmenistan to switch over to multi-party system
Ashgabat: The elders of Turkmenistan
have approved a proposal voiced by Turkmen President,
suggesting a transition from one-party to multi-party system,
as it was considered to not meet even the most basic standards
The elders backed the proposal at an annual meeting of the
Elders` Council that opened yesterday. President Gurbanguly
Berdymukhammedov has instructed the Turkmen parliament to
draft a bill on political parties.
Turkmenistan has known only one party in its history as
an independent state - the Democratic Party, created after the
Communist party dissolved itself in 1991.
The Turkmen presidents were traditionally elected leaders
of the Democratic Party which membership was never more than
In August 2007, Berdymukhammedov was elected Chairman of
the Political Council of the Democratic Party and the
Galkynysh national movement that united all the public
organizations of Turkmenistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie