Turtles crossing runway cause NY flight delays
New York: Flights at John F Kennedy International Airport were delayed shortly on Wednesday when about 150 diamondback terrapin turtles were spotted crossing a runway, authorities said.
The reptiles were trying to get to the other side of the runway to lay eggs on the sandy shores of the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, which borders the airport.
Ron Marsico, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which oversees operation of the region`s airports, pilots from Jet Blue and other airlines halted their flights to let the expectant reptiles pass.
"Flight delays attributed to turtles were minor, about 15 minutes or so," he said.
Port Authority staff rushed out to the tarmac where, between takeoffs and landings, they scooped up the turtles and helped them on their way.
Naturalists said the 185-acre Jamaica Bay may be the diamondback`s most popular breeding ground in North America.
"It happens every year at about this time. It`s the great migration, and this is the peak of the season," he said.
Flights were rerouted to another runway, as waves of turtles pressed on with their march to the bay.
"At one point, we decided to heed Mother Nature and use other runways. This is not impacting flights," Marsico said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok