Twelve militants killed in Chechnya
Moscow: At least 12 militants were killed in an attempt to attack the native village of Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov.
In the pre-dawn attack on the village of Tsentaroi in the restive Chechnya, four local residents and two body guards of Kadyrov were also killed, Rossiya 24 news channel said.
Kadyrov, who was in his native village over the weekend, personally commanded the operation to repulse the attack.
In an interview to the news channel, Kadyrov said bodies of 10 militants were found in the village and two more bodies were recovered outside the village.
"We are searching for the cameramen who were videographing the attack to put it on their websites," Kadyrov said.
After killing the Pakistan-trained warlord Magomed Ali Wagabov (Vagapov) earlier this month in Daghestan, who had organised Moscow metro blasts, the security forces have carried out several successful sweeps on the rebel hideouts.
Earlier on Friday night, nine suspected militants were killed in two separate shootouts with security forces in the Kabardino-Balkaria republic`s capital Nalchik.
Two of those killed were suspected of organising a blast at local race course on May 09, in which one war veteran was killed and dozens wounded.
In a separate incident, five suspected militants allegedly belonging to Wagapov`s gang were killed in Daghestan.
"We have eliminated more than 30 militants in the month of August, who were wanted for several terror attacks and assassination of law enforcers," director of FSB security service Alexander Bortnikov yesterday reported to President Medvedev.
According RIA Novosti, four militants were killed today in an encounter with police in Daghestan`s Khasavyurt district, when they opened fire during routine checking at a police post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic