Twenty-eight killed in Mexico violence
Acapulco: At least 28 people were
reported killed in Mexico in the past 24 hours, including seven whose bodies were found in a vehicle in the Pacific resort city of Acapulco, authorities have said.
Outside Acapulco, nine people were killed in the western
state of Michoacan, eight in northern Nuevo Leon and four
others in northern Coahuila in gangland-style killings amid a
wave of drug-related violence across Mexico.
Police found an abandoned vehicle containing seven bodies
and an apparent message from drug traffickers in Acapulco on
Monday, hours after the same car was involved in a chase with
police after its driver ignored a command to stop, said an
official from the Guerrero state prosecutor`s office
The killings occurred as thousands of tourists were
visiting the legendary beach resort during Easter holidays.
The victims have yet to be identified.
In Michoacan state, neighboring Guerrero, six suspects were killed in clashes with soldiers and three other bodies were found by a road with a message allegedly signed by drug traffickers, a military official said.
Another clash between soldiers and suspected criminals in
Coahuila state Monday left one police officer and three gunmen
dead, a state police officer said.
Meanwhile in the town of Guadalupe, outside the northern
city of Monterrey, an armed gang killed eight people in
attacks at two illegal taxi stands yesterday, officials said.
Gangland-style killings, kidnappings and extortion have
risen in Mexico amid a military offensive on organized crime
launched by President Felipe Calderon in December 2006.
Drug-related violence is blamed for more than 50,000
deaths across the country in the past five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?