Twenty nine coal mine workers dead in China

Last Updated: Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 18:54

Beijing: At least 21 workers, who were
trapped in two flooded coal mines in south-west China for the
past few days, have died, authorities confirmed on Sunday, as
rescuers ruled out chances of survival of eight other missing
men.

"While experts so far confirmed the death of 21, but
there was no chances of survival of eight others who remained
buried," a rescue official was quoted as saying by the
state-run media Xinhua.

The rescuers found two bodies in a flooded coal mine
of Guiyang City in China`s Guizhou Province this morning, he
said.

The spokesman said that the rescue operation is
underway and the cause of the accident is being probed.
Thirteen people were trapped when the flooding hit
Fuhong Coal Mine on May 29. Rescuers had previously uncovered
three bodies.

In a separate case in Dushan County, which forms the
border of Guizhou and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, eight
people, who were buried in a flooded illegal coal mine on May
31, were confirmed dead late yesterday when rescuers found two
more bodies, he said, adding that six bodies had been
previously retrieved.

Accidents in the coal mines of energy hungry China
continued unabated despite claims by the government of
tightening regulations with improved safety measures.

PTI



First Published: Sunday, June 5, 2011 - 18:54

comments powered by Disqus