Twenty-nine killed by gunmen in east Baghdad
Baghdad: Some 29 people, 20 of them women, were killed on Saturday evening in an apartment building in eastern Baghdad by gunmen wearing a mix of plain clothes and camouflage, a police officer and a hospital official said.
The police officer told Reuters that he had witnessed a gruesome scene at the building in the neighbourhood of Zayouna:
"When we walked up the stairs, we saw a couple of women`s bodies and blood streaming down the stairs.
We entered a flat and found bodies everywhere, some lying on the sofa, some on the ground, and one woman who apparently had tried to hide in a cupboard in the kitchen shot to death there."
Shi`ite militias have been accused by locals of carrying out killings of women branded as prostitutes in that district of the capital, though there was no way to immediately confirm who was responsible for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning