Twenty-one bodies found in Mali mass grave
Bamako: Twenty-one bodies were found overnight yesterday in a mass grave near Bamako, believed to be the remains of soldiers close to Mali`s ousted president Amadou Toumani Toure, officials said.
"We have found 21 bodies, probably of `red beret` soldiers, in a mass grave in Diago. The bodies were exhumed," a Malian justice ministry official said.
A security official said that "identity cards found in the mass grave seem to confirm that they were missing `red beret` soldiers."
The discovery near the capital Bamako comes a week after the arrest and detention of Amadou Haya Sanogo, leader of the March 22, 2012 coup against Toure that plunged Mali into chaos.
The government says Sanogo has been charged with complicity in kidnappings, but a source close to the judge in the case said that the charges also include murder, complicity to murder and carrying out kidnappings.
Fifteen people, mainly soldiers from his inner circle, were arrested immediately after him.
Sanogo`s coup toppled what had been heralded as one of west Africa`s most stable democracies and precipitated a crisis in which al Qaeda-linked groups seized control of the country`s north, enforcing a brutal form of Islamic law until a French-led military intervention forced them out.
In the months that followed, Sanogo`s then-headquarters in the central town of Kati were the scene of abuses and killings carried out against soldiers seen as loyal to Toure.
Some 20 "red berets" were killed by Sanogo`s followers in a failed counter-coup on April 30, 2012. Their bodies were never recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’