Twin blasts rock Kenya’s Wajir town
Nairobi: At least one person was killed and two others injured Wednesday evening in twin explosions in Kenya`s northern county of Wajir, police said.
Unknown assailants hurled grenades at a crowd of people at a local shopping centre in Wajir town and fled immediately after the attack, Xinhua reported citing Divisional Police Commander Isaiah Odhiambo.
"Unknown criminals hurled explosive devices at the crowd of people in Wajir town around 7:30 p.m., injuring three people whom we have rushed to the hospital. The attackers fled immediately after hurling the explosives," Odhiambo said on telephone.
He said the motive of the attack has not been established and that investigations have been launched.
The incident comes after al Qaeda-linked Somali militants stormed a shopping mall in Nairobi Saturday, killing at least 72 people and injuring at least 175 others.
A series of attacks linked to al Shabaab have recently hit Kenya`s northern areas close to the border with Somalia, including Mandera, Wajir, Garissa and Dadaab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred