Twin blasts rock Kenya’s Wajir town
Nairobi: At least one person was killed and two others injured Wednesday evening in twin explosions in Kenya`s northern county of Wajir, police said.
Unknown assailants hurled grenades at a crowd of people at a local shopping centre in Wajir town and fled immediately after the attack, Xinhua reported citing Divisional Police Commander Isaiah Odhiambo.
"Unknown criminals hurled explosive devices at the crowd of people in Wajir town around 7:30 p.m., injuring three people whom we have rushed to the hospital. The attackers fled immediately after hurling the explosives," Odhiambo said on telephone.
He said the motive of the attack has not been established and that investigations have been launched.
The incident comes after al Qaeda-linked Somali militants stormed a shopping mall in Nairobi Saturday, killing at least 72 people and injuring at least 175 others.
A series of attacks linked to al Shabaab have recently hit Kenya`s northern areas close to the border with Somalia, including Mandera, Wajir, Garissa and Dadaab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown