Twin Moscow blasts target security service
Moscow: Twin blasts rocked northern Moscow on Friday in an attack that left no casualties but appeared part of a campaign against targets linked to the powerful Federal Security Service (FSB).
The two bombs -- one left on top of an outdoor garage and the other left in a metal garbage container -- went off outside a building housing FSB employees and their families, police sources told Russian news agencies.
"The blasts went off one after the other," Interfax quoted a police spokesman as saying. "Each bomb had the blast equivalent of about 150 grammes of TNT."
Nails packed with the explosives shattered glass across seven floors of the high-rise building, with the head of the Moscow FSB`s investigative unit heading out to the site to personally inspect the damage, RIA Novosti reported.
"We have double-pane insulated windows, but even these were shattered by the nails," the lifenews.ru quoted one local resident as saying. "I looked outside, and then the second bomb went off before my very eyes."
Police sources said the explosives were similar to the small bomb that went off on Wednesday outside a bus stop near an FSB training centre in Moscow.
"We are working on several versions of events, but our experts do not rule out the links between these two explosions," a police source told Interax.
Wednesday`s blast has been claimed by the Riyadus Salikhin Martyrs Brigade, an Islamist group founded by the Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev before his violent death in 2006.
The groups said in a statement posted on the Kavkazcenter.com website popular with Islamists that Wednesday`s attack was carried out in reprisal for past FSB operations in the Caucasus.
"We intend to continue striking facilities and places where the (FSB) criminals gather," the statement said.
The explosions followed a massive January 24 blast that killed 37 people and wounded more than 100 in Moscow`s busiest airport Domodedovo.
After a lull of several years, suicide attacks returned to Russia last March when two female suicide bombers from the Caucasus killed 40 and wounded dozens on the Moscow underground.
One of those two underground blasts occurred near the FSB headquarters in central Moscow.
Russia`s leading Islamist rebel Doku Umarov has claimed both attacks and vowed to make 2011 "a year of blood and tears”.
Police officials however labelled Wednesday`s attack "an act of hooliganism" and appeared determined not launch a terror probe following Friday`s explosions.
"Since there are no casualties, this incident will probably be qualified as a hooligan prank," another police source told Interfax.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor