Twin road accidents kill 25 in north Nigeria
Lagos (Nigeria): An official says two road accidents that took place an hour apart have claimed 25 lives on a northern Nigerian road.
Zamfara state spokesman Nuhu Anka said today the first accident occurred yesterday after a bus tire burst on Gusau-Sokoto road. The driver lost control of his vehicle, leading to death of six passengers who were headed to a wedding.
Anka said 19 people died in a second accident involving a bus and a car on the same road, and ten more were injured.
He said reckless driving caused the accidents.
He said the road, which is 230 kilometers long, was not damaged where the accidents occurred, although it has bad patches.
Traffic crashes remain common in Nigeria, a nation with potholed highways and many speeding drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets