Twitter buzzing with Mandela`s death hoax
Sydney: Former South African President Nelson Mandela has become the latest victim of a celebrity death hoax on Twitter.
The social media site is buzzing with incorrect information that Mandela has died in his sleep.
According to the Age, as per the latest information from President Jacob Zuma, Mandela is still in hospital in Pretoria with a lung infection and is in a serious but stable condition.
But a Twitter account imitating that of CNN host Piers Morgan tweeted the incorrect breaking news that the apartheid leader had died.
The tweet read that Mandela`s spokesman has confirmed the tragic news that the former leader died earlier this afternoon in his sleep.
It was quickly re-tweeted more than 1300 times.
According to the report, but a closer look at the account, with the same Twitter image as Morgan`s, reveals that it is a parody account using the handle @piersrnorgan.
Mandela, 94, was taken to a Pretoria hospital early on Saturday in a serious but stable condition, suffering from a lung infection.
It is the fourth time that Mandela has been hospitalized since December, after he was discharged in April following treatment for pneumonia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation