Twitter buzzing with Mandela`s death hoax
Sydney: Former South African President Nelson Mandela has become the latest victim of a celebrity death hoax on Twitter.
The social media site is buzzing with incorrect information that Mandela has died in his sleep.
According to the Age, as per the latest information from President Jacob Zuma, Mandela is still in hospital in Pretoria with a lung infection and is in a serious but stable condition.
But a Twitter account imitating that of CNN host Piers Morgan tweeted the incorrect breaking news that the apartheid leader had died.
The tweet read that Mandela`s spokesman has confirmed the tragic news that the former leader died earlier this afternoon in his sleep.
It was quickly re-tweeted more than 1300 times.
According to the report, but a closer look at the account, with the same Twitter image as Morgan`s, reveals that it is a parody account using the handle @piersrnorgan.
Mandela, 94, was taken to a Pretoria hospital early on Saturday in a serious but stable condition, suffering from a lung infection.
It is the fourth time that Mandela has been hospitalized since December, after he was discharged in April following treatment for pneumonia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory