Twitter shuts al Qaeda-linked Shabab account
Sydney: Popular social networking website Twitter has shut the English-language account of Somalia`s al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab insurgents, days after they posted photographs of a French commando they killed and threatened to execute Kenyan hostages.
A message from Twitter on the English-language @HSMPress account on Friday read that it had "been suspended", without elaborating, the Courier Mail reports.
However, Somali and Arabic language accounts of the al-Shabab continue to operate, and the extremists used their Arabic account to denounce the suspension as censorship. The message read: “This is new evidence of the freedom of expression in the West.”
On Wednesday the group used the account to release a link to a video of several Kenyan hostages they said they would execute within three weeks if Nairob`s government did not release prisoners held on terrorism charges, the paper said.
Earlier this month they posted graphic photographs of a French soldier killed during a failed bid to release a French agent they had held for more than three years. They later used Twitter to announce the hostage`s execution, the paper added.
Twitter warns that accounts can be suspended if they violate its rules, which include the publishing of "direct, specific threats of violence against others", according to regulations posted on the social media website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical