Two adults survived US school shooting
Washington: Police said Monday that two adults - not one as originally reported - survived the shooting that left 26 people dead at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.
Both were wounded and are recovering in hospital.
State police Lt. Paul Vance told a press conference in Newtown that as soon as they recover sufficiently they`ll be questioned.
The officer added that police will continue questioning eye-witnesses and analyzing all the evidence found both at the school and at the home of 20-year-old Adam Lanza, who fatally shot his mother before going to Sandy Hook Elementary, where he committed suicide after the attack.
Twenty of Lanza`s victims were children between 6 and 7 years old.
"There are many, many people in many different locales that need to be interviewed that will assist us in helping us arrive to a successful conclusion," Vance said, adding that any interview or contact with the children will be done with extreme care.
All schools in Newtown remained closed Monday, though teachers met to receive counseling and advice on how to deal with the situation, and particularly, on what to say and do when the students return to class this Tuesday.
"I think everybody in Newtown has been traumatized by what has occurred," the executive director of the Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents, Joseph Cirasuolo, told CBS News.
He added that in the most immediate future, the children at Sandy Hook will have their classes at a vacant middle school in nearby Monroe, Connecticut.
In the long term, though he did not rule out that Sandy Hook may never open again, he noted the possibility of deciding on something similar to what was done after the shooting at Colorado`s Columbine High School in 1999.
"In Columbine, the students did not go back for the rest of that school year, they renovated the school, so when they went back the next September, it wasn`t the same building they had left. I mean, I can`t foresee this or predict it, but something similar to that will probably occur," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video