Two arrested in Canada over rape, cyber-bullying case
Montreal: Canadian police have arrested two men as part of an investigation into the suicide of a 17-year-old girl who killed herself after suffering months of cyber-bullying following a sexual assault.
Rehtaeh Parsons died in April, in a case that gained nationwide and international media attention over the scourge of Internet bullying.
Parsons was believed to have been bullied mercilessly after being sexually abused by four boys at a drunken party in 2011.
Photographs of the abuse were reportedly circulated on the Internet and among her classmates.
The Police had decided not to press charges in the sexual assault allegations but came under renewed pressure to reopen the case after Parsons` death in April.
A brief statement from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on Thursday stated that two males had been arrested, but did not give further information.
"They are in police custody and are currently being questioned by investigators," the statement said.
The arrests have come one day after the adoption of a new anti-cyber-bullying law in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper welcomed the apparent progress in the case and vowed to review national laws on cyber-bullying.
"I just wanted to say how pleased we are that progress is being made. I hope this will provide some measure of comfort to the family members," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest