Two arrested in Ecuador for alleged cyberattacks
Quito: Ecuadoran authorities said Thursday they have arrested two people for alleged cyberattacks targeting President Rafael Correa.
Correa had charged on March 27 that his Twitter account (@MashiRafael) had been hacked, blaming the attacks on "extreme right" opponents.
The government last year also reported that Correa`s email had been hacked.
Correa has said NSA documents leaked by former US intelligence analyst Edward Snowden show that the United States had targeted Ecuador with electronic surveillance.
It was not clear if those arrested were being investigated for hacking his Twitter account, his email or both.
"There are two people in custody who are being subjected to investigation having entered the president`s accounts," Attorney General Galo Chiriboga said.
He said they were arrested Wednesday and would be arraigned on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh