Two bishops kidnapped in northern Syria: State media
Damascus: An armed group kidnapped two bishops in a village in Aleppo province in northern Syria, the state news agency SANA reported.
"An armed terrorist group today kidnapped Bishop Yohanna Ibrahim, head of the Syrian Orthodox Church (in Aleppo) and Bishop Boulos Yaziji, head of the Greek Orthodox church (in Aleppo) while they were on humanitarian operations in the village of Kafr Dael in Aleppo province," the news agency said yesterday.
"Terrorists intercepted the bishops` car in Kafr Dael village, took the driver out of the car and kidnapped the bishops," it added.
Reached by AFP, sources in the Greek Orthodox diocese of Aleppo declined to comment on the incident.
Christian residents of Aleppo reached by AFP said Ibrahim set out in his car to pick up Yaziji from the Bab al-Hawa crossing on the Turkish border, which is under rebel control.
The car was intercepted on the way back by gunmen who kidnapped the bishops and killed their driver, the residents said on condition of anonymity.
Kidnappings have become increasingly prevalent in Syria as law and order has broken down with the spread of the conflict between rebels and loyalist troops.
Activists and human rights groups say minority groups, including Christians, have been particularly vulnerable.
Christians account for about five percent of Syria`s population, and they have remained largely neutral or supportive of the regime since the outbreak of the uprising against the government in early 2011.
But the Syrian opposition also includes prominent Christian members, including George Sabra, a long-time dissident who was named interim head of the opposition Syrian National Coalition on yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert