Two Britons shot dead in Florida
Miami: Two British tourists were shot dead in the Florida city of Sarasota, and a local teenager has been arrested and charged with their deaths, police said.
James Cooper, 25, and James Thomas Kouzaris, 24, were killed at 3 am (0700 GMT) on Saturday in a residential area near government-subsidised housing developments, Sarasota Police Captain Paul Sutton said.
"It`s unusual in that it`s public housing, there`s no open businesses, and they are in the area just before 3 in the morning," Sutton said. "We`re investigating what might have caused them to be in that area."
A 16-year-old male was arrested early Sunday and charged with two counts of murder. His name was withheld, Sutton said, while the investigation continued.
Police discovered the bodies of Cooper and Kouzaris after receiving a 911 emergency call early Saturday.
"Both victims had been shot and were deceased," a police statement said. Sutton added that the victims did not have a car.
The men were on a family vacation and staying in Longboat Key, a nearby beach resort community, Sutton said.
"One of the victims` parents was travelling with them," Sutton said. "It`s a horrible incident."
The city of Sarasota, population 52,000, is located on Florida`s west coast, 225 miles (362 kilometres) northwest of Miami.
A court date has not been set for the teenager, who will likely be charged as an adult, Sutton said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened