Two Chinese acquitted of rape after 10 years in jail
Beijing: A court in China will compensate two men after they were acquitted of rape charges that led to their wrongful imprisonment for 10 years.
The court in Zhejiang decided to give Zhang Hui and and his uncle Zhang Gaoping 1.11 million yuan (around $179,000) each to compensate them for depriving them of their personal freedom, as well as for causing mental damage, Xinhua reported.
Zhang Hui was given a death sentence and Zhang Gaoping was sentenced to life in prison by a court in April 2004 for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl.
The court`s judgment was later changed to a death sentence with a two-year reprieve for Zhang Gaoping and a 15-year prison term for his nephew in a second trial conducted by the Zhejiang court.
The two men had given a free ride to the 17-year-old girl on the night of May 18, 2003, when they were transporting freight to Shanghai.
They dropped the girl off in Hangzhou, capital of Zhejiang, after midnight and continued on their way to Shanghai. The girl`s naked body was discovered later that day.
The two men became the principal suspects and were detained, as they were the last people to have seen the girl alive.
They were freed by the Zhejiang court, as there was new evidence that showed the possibility of another suspect and evidence presented during the previous trial was not enough to support the conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi