Two Chinese acquitted of rape after 10 years in jail
Beijing: A court in China will compensate two men after they were acquitted of rape charges that led to their wrongful imprisonment for 10 years.
The court in Zhejiang decided to give Zhang Hui and and his uncle Zhang Gaoping 1.11 million yuan (around $179,000) each to compensate them for depriving them of their personal freedom, as well as for causing mental damage, Xinhua reported.
Zhang Hui was given a death sentence and Zhang Gaoping was sentenced to life in prison by a court in April 2004 for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl.
The court`s judgment was later changed to a death sentence with a two-year reprieve for Zhang Gaoping and a 15-year prison term for his nephew in a second trial conducted by the Zhejiang court.
The two men had given a free ride to the 17-year-old girl on the night of May 18, 2003, when they were transporting freight to Shanghai.
They dropped the girl off in Hangzhou, capital of Zhejiang, after midnight and continued on their way to Shanghai. The girl`s naked body was discovered later that day.
The two men became the principal suspects and were detained, as they were the last people to have seen the girl alive.
They were freed by the Zhejiang court, as there was new evidence that showed the possibility of another suspect and evidence presented during the previous trial was not enough to support the conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest