Two dead, 100 injured in China quake
Beijing: At least two people were killed and hundred others injured after a 5.7-magnitude earthquake jolted a mountainous area in southwest China on Sunday.
The casualties were reported in the county of Ninglang in Yunnan province, a spokesman with the Yunnan Provincial Seismological Bureau said.
The quake was strongly felt in the county, and the bureau has dispatched a team to the area to investigate losses, he said.
Local authorities have sent 300 tents, 500 quilts and 500 cotton-padded clothes to the county, said Bai Yong, director of the Disaster Relief Section of the Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Department.
The quake struck the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces at 3:59 pm (local time) today, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
Telecommunication networks in the county`s Yongning township were cut by the quake.
A spokesman with the Yanyuan county government told Xinhua that the quake was not strongly felt in the county seat, but many houses in the countryside collapsed.
The epicentre, was located at the border area between Ninglang and Yanyuan county of Sichuan at 27.7 degrees north latitude and 100.7 degrees east longitude.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days