Two dead, 100 injured in China quake
Beijing: At least two people were killed and hundred others injured after a 5.7-magnitude earthquake jolted a mountainous area in southwest China on Sunday.
The casualties were reported in the county of Ninglang in Yunnan province, a spokesman with the Yunnan Provincial Seismological Bureau said.
The quake was strongly felt in the county, and the bureau has dispatched a team to the area to investigate losses, he said.
Local authorities have sent 300 tents, 500 quilts and 500 cotton-padded clothes to the county, said Bai Yong, director of the Disaster Relief Section of the Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Department.
The quake struck the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces at 3:59 pm (local time) today, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
Telecommunication networks in the county`s Yongning township were cut by the quake.
A spokesman with the Yanyuan county government told Xinhua that the quake was not strongly felt in the county seat, but many houses in the countryside collapsed.
The epicentre, was located at the border area between Ninglang and Yanyuan county of Sichuan at 27.7 degrees north latitude and 100.7 degrees east longitude.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes