Two dead after shootout in Lebanese capital
Beirut: Security officials say troops stormed an apartment in west Beirut, killing a Syrian gunman who had engaged in an hours-long shootout with the security forces.
The shootout came amid heightened tensions in Lebanon where deadly clashes linked to the conflict in neighbouring Syria have killed at least 10 people in the past two weeks.
The officials say the gunman first shot at the troops on the street in Caracas neighborhood, then fled to his apartment, which the soldiers stormed early today.
The body of another man was found in the apartment but it`s unclear how he died. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
Five soldiers and policemen were also wounded in the gunbattle which caused panic among residents in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!