Two dead as truce ends in Philippines
Manila: More than 50 communist rebels attacked an army patrol base in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, leaving one pro-government militiaman and a guerrilla dead in the clash, officials said.
The daring pre-dawn attack by the New People`s Army (NPA)
on the southern island of Mindanao was the first since an
18-day Yuletide truce declared by the government ended
yesterday, the military said.
"The firefight lasted (for) almost five hours after which
the attacking enemy withdrew," regional military spokesman
Colonel Leopoldo Galon said, adding that both sides lost a
A soldier and a civilian were wounded in the attack, the
military said, adding that two rifles were captured from the
The attack came on the same day that the Communist Party
of the Philippines (CPP), the NPA`s mother organisation,
reiterated a demand for the government to release detained
senior rebel leaders.
The CPP-NPA has waged a rebellion since 1969 in what is
one of Asia`s longest running communist insurgencies.
Peace talks with the communists reached an impasse after
Manila in November rejected CPP demands to free 18 jailed
guerrillas it said were consultants to its negotiating team.
Rebel spokesman Elmo Guevarra warned rebel forces would
step up attacks this year with an aim of achieving "bigger
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India