Two dead as truce ends in Philippines
Manila: More than 50 communist rebels attacked an army patrol base in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, leaving one pro-government militiaman and a guerrilla dead in the clash, officials said.
The daring pre-dawn attack by the New People`s Army (NPA)
on the southern island of Mindanao was the first since an
18-day Yuletide truce declared by the government ended
yesterday, the military said.
"The firefight lasted (for) almost five hours after which
the attacking enemy withdrew," regional military spokesman
Colonel Leopoldo Galon said, adding that both sides lost a
A soldier and a civilian were wounded in the attack, the
military said, adding that two rifles were captured from the
The attack came on the same day that the Communist Party
of the Philippines (CPP), the NPA`s mother organisation,
reiterated a demand for the government to release detained
senior rebel leaders.
The CPP-NPA has waged a rebellion since 1969 in what is
one of Asia`s longest running communist insurgencies.
Peace talks with the communists reached an impasse after
Manila in November rejected CPP demands to free 18 jailed
guerrillas it said were consultants to its negotiating team.
Rebel spokesman Elmo Guevarra warned rebel forces would
step up attacks this year with an aim of achieving "bigger
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says