Two dead as truce ends in Philippines
Manila: More than 50 communist rebels attacked an army patrol base in the southern Philippines on Tuesday, leaving one pro-government militiaman and a guerrilla dead in the clash, officials said.
The daring pre-dawn attack by the New People`s Army (NPA)
on the southern island of Mindanao was the first since an
18-day Yuletide truce declared by the government ended
yesterday, the military said.
"The firefight lasted (for) almost five hours after which
the attacking enemy withdrew," regional military spokesman
Colonel Leopoldo Galon said, adding that both sides lost a
A soldier and a civilian were wounded in the attack, the
military said, adding that two rifles were captured from the
The attack came on the same day that the Communist Party
of the Philippines (CPP), the NPA`s mother organisation,
reiterated a demand for the government to release detained
senior rebel leaders.
The CPP-NPA has waged a rebellion since 1969 in what is
one of Asia`s longest running communist insurgencies.
Peace talks with the communists reached an impasse after
Manila in November rejected CPP demands to free 18 jailed
guerrillas it said were consultants to its negotiating team.
Rebel spokesman Elmo Guevarra warned rebel forces would
step up attacks this year with an aim of achieving "bigger
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why