Two die in Egypt clashes between police and pro-Morsi students
Cairo: Two people died in clashes between Egyptian police and student supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi protesting against the new military-installed authorities, security officials said.
The pro-Morsi coalition spearheading the Islamist protest movement, which has called for nationwide strike action, confirmed two demonstrators were killed yesterday.
One of them was shot in the head, security officials said.
State television reported that a policeman had also been shot in the clashes, but was in a stable condition.
Police said they only used tear gas to break up the protests near the defence ministry and accused the Islamists of using arms.
However, the pro-Morsi alliance in a statement accused "militias of the putschist authorities" of killing the two men and injuring three others.
The Brotherhood, to which Morsi belongs, was designated a "terrorist" group last week by the authorities, which accused it of a bombing north of the capital that killed 15 people.
The Islamist movement denied the accusation.
Police also fired tear gas at a pro-Morsi student protest in the Nile Delta city of Zagazig, the deposed leader`s home town, security officials said.
Pro-Morsi students have staged defiant demonstrations at universities across Egypt, and earlier yesterday the pro-Morsi Anti-Coup Alliance called for more protests.
Police seized an underground press in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria for allegedly printing leaflets against the security forces, security officials said. Two people were arrested.
The Brotherhood`s designation as a "terrorist" group carries harsh penalties.
It could mean death sentences for convicted Brotherhood leaders and five years` imprisonment for participants in protests.
Promoting the group either in writing or verbally can also lead to prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees