Two Egyptian officers killed in attack in Sinai
Cairo: Unknown assailants Friday gunned down two high-ranking Egyptian security officials in the country`s North Sinai bordering Israel, amid a surge in Islamist insurgency in the region.
Mohamed Selmi, a brigadier general in the Central Security Forces, was killed in Sheikh Zuwayed city in North Sinai, near his home, while his son was injured in the attack.
The other victim Omar Fathi, also a brigadier general, was with Selmi in his car during the incident.
Selmi is believed to be the first Sinai Bedouin officer to be assassinated in the history of the ongoing Sinai insurgency, as he belongs to the Sawarca tribe, according to Youm7 website.
Security forces are currently combing the area for the gunmen.
Egypt is struggling to contain an Islamist insurgency that has killed scores of soldiers and policemen in the region, bordering Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip. North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamists since the January 2011 revolution.
The attacks increased after the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers, have been killed in the attacks, which included bombings and shootings.
The military has launched frequent security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished housing that it says hosts "terrorist" activity, including facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
On July 19, unidentified gunmen armed with heavy weapons killed 15 Egyptian border guards at a military checkpoint in southern Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27