Two firefighters shot dead in US
New York: Firefighters, who were responding to a blaze in a house in western New York Monday, have been shot at by an unidentified person and at least two of them have been rushed to local hospitals.
The firefighters were responding to the blaze in the Webster area of New York at around 6 am when they were shot at.
One firefighter, who was shot in the back, was rushed to the Strong Memorial Hospital where he is being treated for injuries, the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester reported.
The hospital said another firefighter was also being treated, but did not elaborate if he was shot or injured in the fire.
Webster Fire Marshal Rob Boutillier said it is not clear if other firefighters were hit. He said he would not confirm reports of other firefighters being hit.
The paper said one firefighter was shot at but he managed to escape from the scene.
He was taken to the Strong Memorial Hospital and his condition is said to be satisfactory.
Reports of the shooting come over a week after 20 year old Adam Lanza of Connecticut shot and killed 26 people, including 10 children, in an elementary school in Newtown.
The killings outraged people across the nation who demanded that President Barack Obama take action to strengthen gun control laws.
Webster officials said residents were being evacuated from the scene of the shooting.
The scene is now under the control of the Monroe County Sheriff`s Office, which would determine when it is safe for fire fighters to go back to work on the fire.
A SWAT team is on the scene escorting residents to buses which are taking them out of the neighbourhood, the paper reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch